Agave Spirits Tasting
Mexico has over 150 species of agave with 22 being suitable for making alcohol.
Are you already a bit familiar with mezcal and tequila, but you want to explore the depth of agave spirits? Join us on a journey of discovery as we unveil the history of agave and the many spirits within. Step into the agave world with a signature cocktail as we journey through the history behind these delightful Mexican flavors. Then sip your way across Mexico and its enchanting agaves including: tequila, mezcal, raicilla and sotol.
While there is an abundance of agave drinks in Mexico (which of course we stock), in this class we will be concentrating on four beautiful spirits. We will talk about everything from their history to how to find quality product and cover fun facts such as these:
- Tequila - named after its birthplace which is just 90 miles from Vallarta in the state of Jalisco.
- Mezcal - a spirit dating back to the 16th century and name comes from “Nahuatl mexcalli”, which means "oven-cooked agave".
- Sotol - a bright and grassy spirit known as the state spirit of chihuahua, durango and coahuila.
- Raicilla - known as our local moonshine, it’s lovingly made in the surrounding mountains of Puerto Vallarta.
Our spirits expert, Luis, will walk you through rare spirits as we explore the finer differences using small-batch artisanal spirits.
- Tuesdays 7pm
- Thursdays 7pm
- Fridays 1pm
- Duration: 2 hours
- Price: $59
- Capacity: 10 people + expert guide
- Who: 18+ Mexican Spirit Affecionados
- Includes: 5 tastings, welcome cocktail, expert guide and activity sheet with insider recommendations